Search This Blog

Thursday 3 October 2013

Why I love MUNing, you ask?

Dear Readers,

I have not written for quite a while (no sir, saying good riddance was a little premature) but I'll get down to it and not mince my words. For the few know me, would also know how much I love MUNing and I have had a blast since I was appointed Director General of Saint Andrew's MUN (SA MUN) which is to be held at my own college, St. Andrew's College, Bandra. Coinciding with this appointment I was asked to write an article in the college magazine about my MUNing activities. As one very smart man once said MUN stands for "Marketing UNlimited" and so here I present an extract from the article I will be submitting for the College Magazine. Hope you enjoy it and a shout out to all my MUN buddies. Thank you for these months of awesomeness!


MUNs (Model United Nations conferences) are recreations of United Nations Committees wherein the Nations are represented by students who are the “Delegates” of their given country. You might not have heard of this but it is a global phenomenon that has caught on in our own dear India. We have global leading Universities like Harvard and Stanford and Oxford who host their own MUNs and are looked upon as the holy grail of many an MUNer (we use this term to describe a person who participates in MUNs.
To be honest, the first time I heard about an MUN was on the beloved TV sitcom “The Simpsons”. The character Lisa Simpson is depicted as participating in an MUN as Delegate of Azerbaijan and when one of my friends at Jai Hind College told me they were organizing one, I leapt at the opportunity to participate.

GLC MUN where I was (joint) youngest in committee and won Special Mention 
It all began at RCJC MUN at Jai Hind College in December last year. I went into the world of MUNs clueless and bewildered. I was Egypt in the Disarmament and International Security Council (DISEC). Well it was an embarrassment to say the least but it sparked an interest that has not dimmed since then.

No comment on the expression but this was taken at Podar Summit (I don't know why they didn't just call it Podar MUN)
That MUN was followed by 6 more bringing the total to 7. I’ve won 3 Special Mentions (MUN way of saying 3rd place) and 2 High Commendations (MUN style of denoting 2nd place) and narrowly missing out on being Best Delegate (The 1st place)  a couple of times in the process. But more than these prizes (which are appreciated since they come usually with some decent cash) this entire journey has been more than amazing!
I have learned quite a lot and grown, not just as an orator and a person of intellect but as a human being who makes an attempt to understand someone else’s point of view. I have been a delegate for a wide variety of Nations. From Egypt (twice)  to Qatar. From Qatar to United Kingdom. From UK to Russia. From Russia to India. From India to the United States of America. Every Nation has been a part of my growth. Researching for MUNs has taught me way more than what I had learnt in the years before I was introduced to it. The intellectual growth that one undergoes is tremendous and manifested in one’s speech and demeanour. It even helps in my academics. I usually take part in the ECOSOC (Economic and Social Council) at MUNs and this has helped me in my Commerce stream studies quite a bit. (P.S.- I research more for MUNs than I study..)

My first outstation MUN at Nashik MUN
The Social aspects of MUNs are an added bonus and attraction. Many a shy nerdy geek has transformed into a confident speaker after a couple of MUNs. Staying in session with a bunch of people you may have never met turn into mates you cherish long after the closing ceremony of the MUN. You meet people you wouldn't have met anywhere. I have met engineering students in economic committees and BMS guys debating on Human Rights. I have seen kids from the 9th grade rubbing shoulders with Post Graduate students and giving them a run for their money!

With Namit Sharma and Paras Chedda two good friends I made at MUNs
And it isn’t all doom and gloom in MUNs either. We have “Social Nights” which are basically like after parties. Not attended many of those but I’ve heard they are crazy fun.  Why talk about after parties? Within committee we have a lot of fun keeping aside the intense discussions and deliberations. We aren't allowed to talk unless it’s our turn to speak so we have to converse via chit. And the flirting that happens through chits, Oh My Word! And the jokes and innuendos are numerous in number as well!
TCET MUN 2013

All in all it is a totalitarian solution for integrating fun into intellectual activities. I am grateful that I was fortunate enough to have grabbed the opportunity when it presented itself.




Well that was all for tonight folks. Hope I get the time to get back to this blog that I love so much. Have a great time folks and do visit The Saint Andrew's MUN website
Till I write again, Auf Wiedersehen!

Yours Truly,


No comments:

Post a Comment